40 Website Ideas To Increase Traffic
With any website, the challenge is to drive traffic to it so that potential clients can buy your product or service. It’s important to focus on your customer base so that the traffic you are driving to your website are interested and will convert into engaged customers.
Targeting the right audience is essential if you are going to succeed! Qualifying visitors to the site is a key part of the online funnel process, enabling you to turn those pre-qualified visitors into leads and then into buyers, then repeat buyers and ultimately, brand loyal customers.
The internet is a busy market place, so to attract the best audience to your site, you need to focus on the targeted niche that your product or service applies to. For example, if your product is BBQ tongs, your niche market would probably consist of men and women, aged between 25 – 60 years old, enjoy cooking outdoors, live at an address with a garden and perhaps already own a BBQ.
Identifying your market allows you to dig down and discover your niche market with pinpoint accuracy.
Search Engine Optimisation
To start with, ensure that the basics are in place on your website, such as Search Engine Optimisation (SEO). Although companies charge thousands for implementing such strategies, it is an easy and justifiable method to do. Simply ensure that tags for content are in place on each page.
Using the example above, if you are selling tongs and have photos of the product, label them correctly. Make of a point of highlighting key words that Google (and other search engines) can identify easily, so that the search engines know exactly what your website is all about.
There are many sites on the Internet that do not have Schema tags installed into their website. Schema was developed as a collaborative, community activity with a mission to create, maintain, and promote schemas for structured data on the Internet, on web pages, in email messages, and beyond.
With a little bit of technical know how, one can install Schema into the Header of any website, but if you prefer, it can also be done by any IT consultant quickly and easily.
Once the basics are in place, it’s a matter of being creative and driven, in order to drive people to your website. Creating interactions with your audience in order to build up an email list is very important. It allows you to re-target a captive audience with offers and promotions and provides a suitable platform to build brand awareness and loyalty all in one hit.
There are many ways to build a targeted email list, which we’ll explore later. But one of the best ways to start is to offer a stepping-stone to your customers, before they buy your product.
For example, in order to drive interest that your BBQ tongs are the best, offer the customer something for free in exchange for an email address. This could be a simple PDF document on BBQ grilling techniques, which would be shown to website visitors via a pop-up.
This is a platform that has exploded in recent years and it’s easy to see why. Gone are the days when advertisers would splash out money on purely traditional media such as print, radio and TV in the hope that a percentage of the audience would buy their product or service.
Now, as part of the marketing mix, companies use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and many others to influence your buying decision. With exact targeting techniques and algorithms in place, targeting specific niches is now a science, rather than a gamble. Such readily available information has given birth to a new age of entrepreneurs, who do not need huge marketing budgets in order to sell their goods. And once you discover what sites and interests your target audience is relating to, you can create a cost effective campaign to drive more traffic to your website.
Catching the attention of your audience is difficult, but it does require focus, determination and a will to succeed. The key is to use the tools available, such as ensuring your website is setup properly, good use of social media and implementing some creative ideas.
1. Be Found - Don’t be afraid of learning SEO. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the art of raising your position on search engine results pages by using specific strategies, techniques, and tactics. The higher you are on the results page, the higher your ranking is and the more targeted leads you'll get.
2. Create A FB Group – By creating a group related to your business, you are essentially providing a community of like-minded people. A Facebook group can be a great way to find new leads and connect with existing customers.
3. Pop Ups - for your website for email capture. Having a good pop-up email capture in place can start growing your list, providing potential leads to follow up with. Offering a gift for free, whether it’s an offer, information or a discount on their first purchase are useful ways to engage and encourage your audience to be active.
4. Create A Forum – Creating a forum is a great way to build a sense of community. People can give advice, opinions, and input on your content as well as support each other. This is also a great way for you to get to know your audience and also, to establish yourself as an authority in the industry.
5. Keywords – If you are not familiar with keywords, the best place to start is with a good keyword tool, such as Semrush, Google Adwords or Wordtracker.
6. Participate In Social Media – Be as active as possible posting at least twice a day, relevant content to your target audience. If the idea of posting across social media is a little daunting, try Buffer – it allows you to post across all platforms at the same time! Following people on Twitter or liking their Facebook Pages will return to you tenfold.
7. Use Stumble Upon – A social network, which acts as a type of search engine. It uses individual readers' preferences, likes, and dislikes, etc., to tailor search results by finding or discovering even the more obscure content the reader wants and likes.
8. Create A Special Information Pack – An information pack about your chosen industry will likely attract the right traffic. In exchange for signing up and giving you their email addresses, you will give them the free report. Once they are on the list, you can market to them via email providing more info and relative offers.
9. Create Interactive Blog Posts – Content is King. Understand the pain point that your customer has and provide a solution! For example, in order to cook on the BBQ, you’re going to need a set of tongs. So answer the question that is going to fulfill your customer’s pain point.
10. Run A Competition – Before you create a competition, be sure to know the difference both professionally and legally. Consider hosting these several times a year rather just during traditional public holidays or particular seasonal events.
11. Create A Newsletter – Once your mailing list is set up, the best way to keep people engaged is through a newsletter. Keeping it informative and remember, not to make it too text heavy. Keep the messages simple with a good design that recognises the idea of space and visual content. Constant Contact, Mail Chimp and Active Campaign are popular email marketing platforms that help you stay connected with your prospects and loyal customers through auto responders, newsletters, and other forms of email correspondence.
12. Create Engaging Headlines – Make sure your blog posts have well-crafted titles and headlines as well as sub-headings, when applicable. Your titles and headlines should be engaging, contain power words to encourage action, peak curiosity, and when possible, allude to the solution of a problem.
13. Ask Headline Questions – When you create a headline question, it’s important that your target market can identify with the question. The more your reader can relate to the topic or problem, the more likely they are to click through to find the answer.
14. Include Links To Posts – Links are important, both incoming and outgoing links. Make it a priority to link related posts on your site to each other and to other sites.
15. Keep In Touch – Be regular with your content! Email auto responders and automation systems allow you to write simple and relevant messages and post to your entire list. Email about a good article on a related hot topic. Just keep feeding your readers information they are interested in.
16. Write A Press Release – Information about product launches or events are critical. You can (and should) create an intriguing headline along with short, concise body information, followed by contact information.
17. Make Your Website SEO Friendly – Your website content should relate to the needs and wants of your target market. Use good quality templates such as Wordpress or Squarespace. Both provide very useful and good SEO coding, so much of the work is already done for you.
18. Ensure Content Is Fresh And Relevant - Maintaining a regular blog is key and will, after time, increase your regular readership. In addition, search engines such as Google, will regularly log the content, which will keep your website relevant to searches on the web. Remember, it does not always have to be just the written word, as pictures, infographics, audio and video are all indexed with a search engine.
19. Tweet Often – Every time you add content, a new blog post, post or video, tweet about it.
20. Google Analytics – Install Google analytics code into the header of each page on your website. This will allow you to monitor your traffic, such as demographics and also help you understand what content you are posting, that has the most beneficial effect for driving traffic to your website.
21. Make An Infographic – People love visuals and a picture really is worth a thousand words. Using infographics is a great way for a reader to visualise concepts. Plus, infographics are generally more shared than articles.
22. Memes – Everyone loves a funny or poignant meme! Be creative and add your own design and comment. You never know, it may just go viral and if it does, it will have your link and phrase for all to see. And it will elevate you further as an authority figure.
23. Reward Your Target Audience – Create a special thank you for your target audience and post it on social media with a request to share. Provide a special link for new signups encouraging them to take further action and get on your email list.
24. Set Yourself Up As An Authority – When you can establish yourself as an authoritative figure for your chosen industry, you gain that much more kudos. Share your knowledge on your website. Offer to guest post on similar sites. Host a webinar to teach or mentor others. Maintain a public image with regular posting and interaction to build your reputation.
25. Guest Post – Building up your reputation as an authoritative figure enables you to approach other online sites as a guest writer or blogger. Again, the more visible you make yourself, the more targeted traffic you will receive.
26. Participate On Topic Related Sites – By interacting on similar sites to your own, you can drive discussion on topics relative to your own site. Again, it’s all about increasing your visibility! Getting your name and business out there will encourage curiosity and further visits to your website. Make sure you add a link to your site in your profile or the website area, where possible. As search engines index these other sites, you may find that your site moves up on search result pages and you get more traffic.
27. Video - Facebook is looking to become the number one user of marketing video promotion online. What this means is that you can advertise through Facebook with video relatively inexpensively, as they continue to promote this platform.
28. Add Photos And Visuals – Photos of people enjoying or using your product can encourage your prospects to take action, so add them to your blog or site.
29. Create Lists – Lists are very good for engaging and people have always like them! Create a Top 10 list relevant to your product. For Example, the Top 10 most popular BBQ dishes or the Top 10 best loved tools for a BBQ. Make certain to include a call to action at the end.
30. Google + - An interesting platform that lacks the big traffic of Facebook and Pinterest, but again, consider that the more online platforms you are part of, the better. It’s a great way to spread the word of your brand.
31. Website Guest Writers – The great thing is that they will link back to their own site and you may well end up attracting more fans!
32. Do Some Interviews - This makes it easy for new people to get to know you and discover why you are an expert in your field. Keep establishing yourself as an authority in the field and it will surely pay you dividends – increase your traffic, increasing links to your site and ultimately, send you on your way to glory!
33. Create A Guide – Guides are a useful marketing tool, because they offer valuable information in one place. They also help establish you and your brand.
34. YouTube – A platform that has more clout than any TV station! As well as writing, put your message out on video – create your own channel to capture targeted traffic.
35. Label Website Images – The Google bot cannot "see" a photo so add appropriate tags, such as “best tongs for BBQ” etc. Tags, descriptions, and other meta-data is invaluable to search engines, so keep it simple and pertinent!
36. Facebook Groups – Join a group on this platform that is relevant to your niche. Using our example, there are many BBQ communities out there, talking about cooking, appliances and tools. Gain the trust of other followers and encourage them to visit your Facebook page and subsequently, your website.
37. Webinars – These are gems. Easy to create and also, webinar traffic gains a higher hit rate on social media than static content. Ensure that you come across as professional with good lighting and a lapel mic. In addition, webinars are excellent tools for offering your product or service for a limited time at a discounted rate or other offer. E.G. Buy a pair of tongs now and receive a free BBQ cookbook.
38. Be Opinionated - Don’t be afraid to be bold and confident by posting comments or opinions. Leave a comment on your own post that has a strong opinion and is possibly controversial to draw comments from readers who may have a different point of view or angle. Get people talking!
39. How-To – One of the most popular searches on the internet is people looking for their solution, by typing “How to…” at the beginning if their search. ‘How to’ posts will bring targeted traffic to your website with people searching for that very same query.
40. FAQ – The reason so many sites have a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page is because they draw attention and answer key points before a customer commits. Providing answers on guarantees and functionality of your product is worth its weight in gold. So ensure that your FAQ page answers all the queries and if you’re looking for inspiration on what to write, check out your competitor’s page and / or put yourself in the customer’s shoes and ask yourself, what would encourage you to buy, if your queries were answered.
Be patient and don’t try to complete the above list all in one go!
Take your time; tackle certain points when ready and your audience will love you.